30 October 2008

"Doctor charged in death of donor"

"A San Francisco transplant surgeon was criminally charged...with excessively prescribing drugs to a 25-year-old disabled man last year in order to hasten his death and harvest his organs sooner. The felony charges are believed to be the first in the nation against a physician for his role in a transplant." (LA Times, 2007.)

Because I was in Slovenia, I missed the media surrounding felony charges brought against Dr. Hootan Roozrokh. However, I just spent the last few weeks traveling back and forth to the court in San Luis, wondering if this my turn to do my noble civic duty. This afternoon the judge and attorneys selected the jury. I'm not one of them. I'm relieved and bummed about that. Since I'm no longer a canidate for the jury, I'm free to read as many articles about it as I want. Organ harvesting, euthanasia, DNR orders, morphine usage, end of life care, defining life--all these issues come to mind. I'm personally moved by the case since my mom is an organ donor and since my dear grandma is very, very old. This a heavy ethical issue.

Praying that the attorneys are clear and truthful. That the judge and jury think clearly and uphold justice.

No comments: